POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Rebuilt pose2pov : Re: Rebuilt pose2pov Server Time
29 Jun 2024 02:11:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rebuilt pose2pov
From: Simon Lacey
Date: 25 Jul 2000 13:21:24
Message: <397DB0FA.44A7CE80@yahoo.com>
> Halbert,

I finally resolved my problem! I found an excellent tutorial titled "Using
UV-mapping with POV-Ray meshes" at

http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/sources/tutuve.htm

Its a very pragmatic tutorial written in June 2000 and states in part:
"Presently there is no 100% reliable way to convert an ObJ or 3DS file with UV
mapping to POV"
But he goes on to describe several different ways of going about it.

The thing that helped me was that he describes how to edit the texture file
(file nameT.inc) that Pose2POV produces. I went in and using the POV editor
replaced all the default texture statements with statements declaring a texture
based on the image map and that did the trick. The render quality of POV is
beautiful compared to Poser's render or even the Vue D'esprit render.

So in summary the current problems seem to be:

1. Pose2POV needs to work on a single mesh rather than a collection of meshes
otherwise you don't get a usable UDO in Moray..
2. The output file filename.inc seems still to lack the #version unofficial
MegaPOV 0.5; statement and I had to add this by hand.
3. The filenameT.inc has a default texture rather than image map and Moray
doesn't seem to be able to overwrite this when producing the files for POV, or
at least I haven't found out how to do it other than to manually alter the file
in POV's editor.

All of these can at least be worked round now.
Thanks a lot, HH!